Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sports Mom Trial Vol 1

Being a sport mom is no picnic.  Unless your kid is a stellar phenom, these moments watching your kid get overlooked by a coach, ignored by scouts, and benched for no apparent reason are so heart wrenching.  Then you are expected to pick up a huge bill for uniforms, shoes, equipment, bags, etc...oh and before you are done emptying your bank account, you are expected to drive 30 miles in the middle of rush hour for a 2 hour practice.  And if you are raising a typical teenage daughter as I am, she is probably not particularly grateful for any of it most of the time.

But down deep inside you know that if she wasn't doing sports she would probably be doing something either pointless...like hanging out at parks smoking cigarettes, or something dangerous...like drinking with the bad girls, getting tattoos and piercings and having sex.    She is so cute, someone would lead her into something equally awful.

Sure I am overreacting.  But I was not the best kid.  If I had actually had parents who were engaged in my life or future, then I would have drove them crazy.  I know what you are thinking, that my daughter is not me.  That is so true.  She is so much better than me.  She is saved, she is smart, she is confident.  As a teenager, I had none of those qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment